What are the Requirements to Teach Abroad?


A neutral North American, British, Australian accent or South African accent.


A Bachelor (BS/BA) degree or an Associate degree


Full-time, contract.
Average 30 to 40 hours per week.
Typically 1 year long contract.
Terms are subjected to the English education platform.


TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certification. Depending on the location, some require some don’t. Check the job description for details.

Please Note:

Applicants without a degree may teach with some schools on s Study/ Business visa.

Do I need a TEFL/ TESOL certificate to teach Online?

It depends on the company you apply for and class level that you’re planning to teach. A certification like TEFL/TESOL/CELTA will demonstrate you are capable of delivering a English teaching appropriately, especially if you don’t have years of teaching experiences prior. The ability to speak clearly and have excellent pronunciation is essential. You may get hired without a certificate if you have great communication skills with an energetic and engaging personality. Having good work ethic, being responsible and punctual to start lessons is important.

What equipment will I need?

You will need a computer or laptop with a webcam, a good internet connection, and a headset. Fast and reliable internet connection is a must! 10+ Mbps for both downloading and uploading is required, which you can test via http://www.speedtest.net.

Can I apply if I am a non-Native speaker?

Yes. Being a native speaker definitely plays in an advantage as the language is the mother tongue. Native accent, especially North American and British accents are the most popular ones. However, a non-native English speaker with natural and clear articulation and good level of English comprehension can usually land a teaching job. You’ll be accepted even as a non-native but honed your English language skills with appropriate pronunciation, intonation, and good literary level.

What are the Visa requirements?

Most of the companies do not have requirements for online teaching, but do for on-site teaching.
The company will usually guide you with regards to the visa process once you have successfully been recruited.
To obtain a Z Work Visa for China and a work permit for Turkey you have to have a Bachelors degree and hold a valid passport from South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, USA and United Kingdom.
As mentioned before if you do not have a degree schools may accept you and you will then work on a Study/ Business visa.